As many of you know may or may not know, we are the regional expert in REO sales for the Spokane and surrounding market. We have over a decade of experience dealing with distressed sales, short,
Make Your Home Efficient On The Cheap
Dated: December 27 2016
Here are a few things you can do this year to improve the efficiency (and functional aspects) of your home, bring down your bills and help out mother earth in the process.
1. Install a smart thermostat-With the newer models, smart thermostats can be programmed to adjust the temperature when they sense you are present. And once you leave, they can kick back to standby mode so that you’re saving energy and money. Nest does all of this, and it also allows you to check your usage from your cell phone so that you can adjust the temperature remotely and save even more
2. Install smart smoke detectors- Many of the new smart smoke detectors, like the Birdi, monitor smoke, carbon dioxide, as well as air quality. With this new sensor technology, they know the difference between a real fire and burnt toast.
3. Install a smart sprinkler system- Programmable by computer or smart phone, a smart sprinkler box can automatically adjust how often you water your lawn based on the season and the weather forecasts. You can also remotely adjust the settings through a mobile app.
4. Install smart solar panels- We get a lot of sun in Spokane, consider a green upgrade with smart solar panels, in addition you can program the technology to monitor their performance and even turn them off in case of a weather emergency or fire.
5. Install a smart security system- With new smart technology, you can simply place a few smart devices in your home to monitor movement and sense whether doors and windows are closed or opened. Some systems include audio and video monitoring, as well as sirens to scare off intruders.
6. Install smart locks- Go beyond the standard key locks, which can often be compromised by burglars. The new smart lock systems give you more control over those who can gain access to your home.
7. Install smart bulbs/lighting- LED lighting is the way to go, with improvements in warmth the newer bulbs offer a similar lighting as the traditional bulb with a fraction of the wattage use. Annual lighting costs can account for up to 12% of your overall electric bill, or over $200 per year according to Energy Star. You can easily reduce this expense simply by using smart lighting technology to add efficiency.
8. Install smart appliances- Upgrade that old appliance with a modern appliance, this goes for just about every device but most specifically your dated refrigerator and your washer and dryer. Newer appliances use less water and less power to accomplish the same tasks, isn't technology great!
Here are a couple of resources to save some dosh during your upgrades!
Hot Water Rebates
Smart Upgrate Rebates
$500 toward a wood stove/insert
$700 toward a pellet stove/insert
$1,000 toward a gas stove or insert or ductless heat pump
As an Owner/Sales Manager for Realty One Group Eclipse, I am committed to my brokers. If they have the desire and the commitment to learn, I have the passion and the expertise to work with them to giv....
Latest Blog Posts
Danger, Will Robinson! This little guy (aka T&P relief valve) is the only thing that prevents your hot water tank from becoming a bomb, quite literally. It is important to check this valve annually
This 8+ acre property is nestled just 20min outside of the city in Hawk Creek, a stellar gated community including access to a cozy clubhouse, tennis courts and swimming pool/spa. Property has
This spacious Ponderosa home is the dream! Beautiful home AND a massive 40X46 SHOP! Chefs kitchen with custom Wood Panel Sub Zero fridge-5 burner gas stove-new LG Smart Oven- large pantry & cherry